- Team Leadership & Management
- Free-to-play Design
- Content Design
- Systems Design
(Images taken from tentonhammer.com and engadget.com)
- Proprietary Turbine level editor
- TestTrack Pro
Genre: Free-to-Play MMORPG Expansion Pack
Game Download Website: https://www.ddo.com/en
In 2013, the second expansion pack to the free-to-play MMO Dungeons & Dragons Online was released.
I was the Lead Designer for this project, managing both the content design and the systems design teams. I gave design direction and iteration feedback for designs on new dungeons, new RPG progression trees & character abilities, and the expansion pack’s new story.
As Lead, my scheduling/production responsibilities included creating schedules, pipelines, and processes for both the content team and the design team.
Here are some of the features that I directly implemented:
- Free-to-Play Design: I designed & implemented a new saga system that gave rewards for completing arcs of dozens of missions. The saga design contained free-to-play monetization systems as well as retention mechanics. They proved to be very successful, and more sagas are still widely requested by players today.
- Systems Design: I revamped the character skills for finding secret doors and disarming traps. I also created the monster list, and prototyped many of their AI & attack behaviors. I also contributed work to new iconic character builds.
- Content Design: I created a series of new trap types that were much quicker for content designers to place.
- Scripting: I contributed complex mission scripting to the “Lines of Supply” quest. I also scripted a toolset to be able to quickly set the logic & dialogue of quest NPCs, drastically cutting their setup time.
- Writing: I wrote half of the questgiver dialogue and their overarching story arc. I also wrote interesting saga meta-storylines that spanned dozens of regular quests.